I finally got my act together and put my website onto squarespace, a much easier to use platform than what I was doing before. Now my blog lives amongst my portfolio instead of a separate entity. Follow me there to get updates on my new works, travel and restaurant tips!
Two years ago, we redesigned Glow and launched the May 2012 issue. It’s crazy how time flies. May’s issue will hit news stand soon, go get yours at Shoppers Drug Mart! This issue we shot at Madonna’s gym, Hard Candy with Peter Tamlin, got messy on set spilling Vietnamese coffee with Andrew Grinton and bought the most beautiful flowers and Algae for our BIotherm shoot with Natasha V.
It’s that time again to look back at last year’s resolutions and see if I’ve stuck to them!
1. A family trip. Check. We had a fantastic week in Hawaii in August.
2. Stick to my budget. Pass. I was impressed I even had a budget throughout the whole year. I tried my hardest to stick to it…
3. Be a gym rat. Check. I loved my old gym and went 4 times a week. I ran, did pilates, yoga, rock climbed, swam and trained for my spartan race there. I was so sad when I had to quit when I moved to Toronto but I have since joined a rock climbing gym that I go every week.
4. To find patience. Check. Throughout the year, I was consciously trying to be more patient with my interns when teaching them the ins and outs of the job. It’s not easy having to constantly do this when interns leave every three months. I have seen that as the year progressed, my interns increasingly had more responsibilities. I’ve also realized that there are many things beyond my control and I can only patiently wait until it all works itself out.
Now onto 2014’s resolutions!
2. Build a relationship: there’s someone in my family that I’ve grown up with that I would like to build a better relationship with. We’re going to start monthly dinners together!
3. Keep on budget: I’m going to try very very hard to do this so I can make my down payment goal by 2016!
4. Start complimenting: I love my family, friends and colleagues dearly and want them to do their very best but it also translates to me having the highest expectations for them. This year, I’m going to learn to appreciate what they have done and achieved and dough out compliments more generously.
It’s that magical time of year again! And what’s better than buying presents for my loved ones? Wrapping them! I’m the office hoarder, you should see the piles and piles of boxes, crinkles, tissue paper and ribbons under my desk I couldn’t bear to throw away. Even a boring white box can be transformed with just a sharpie and a simple pattern.
If you haven’t been hoarding all year like me, not to worry! I popped by Target last weekend and was so impressed by their party section. They had so many cute boxes, felt flower embellishments and ribbons for a dollar!
It’s still hard to believe I was lying on a beach in Hawaii just two weeks ago. Especially in Maui, it was so serene with no light pollution, I loved sitting on the terrace, having wine and watching the shooting stars.
If you know me, you’ll know that I love trying local food, here are my favourite spots I dined in!
Hands down, the best breakfast place I’ve been to. Eggs ‘n Things in Waikiki constantly had a line up but it’s well worth it! My favourite was the Hawaiian Loco Moco, the Portuguese sausages and the pancakes. My father had stacks of pancakes every day!
343 Saratoga Road, Honolulu Hawaii 96815
2464 Kalakaua Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96815
451 Piikoi St. Honolulu, Hawaii 96814
Shirokiya is a Japanese department store in the Ala Moana Centre, America’s largest mall and the world’s second largest. On the second floor is a Japanese food market with takoyakis, skewered meat, ramen, shaved ice, yogurt, packaged foods and a whole lot more. Just the sheer abundance of choice will overwhelm you. They also do $1 happy hour beer!
Ala Moana Center. 1450 Ala Moana Blvd, Ste 2250, Honolulu, HI 96814
1831 Ala Moana Blvd, Ste 102, Honolulu, HI 96815
We found Bluewater Shrimp and Seafood truck in Haleiwa, a cute surf town in the north shore of Oahu that I fell in love with. We had just gone surfing and I was ravenous! The truck is parked behind a gas station with a couple of picnic tables set up next to it. Everything we got was so delicious The garlic bread and shrimp was my favourite. I regret not trying more shrimp trucks while I was in Hawaii!
66-031 Kamehameha Hwy, Haleiwa, HI 96712
A new creperie, Millie Creperie opened up in Kensington Market. It’s specialty? Japanese crepes and parfait. The sweeter crepes and the way it’s folded is what makes it Japanese. I love how they’re easy to eat on the go, especially for a messy eater like me. I had the Rabbit food with home made Japanese mayonnaise and shared the Japanese specialty sweet crepe with my friend. I was pleasantly surprised that the crepe was crispy on top and soft near the bottom. I’ll be back for more!
161 Baldwin Street, Toronto