April’s Glow is out and Shu Pei is on the cover! How refreshing is it to see an Asian model on a cover. This issue I worked with the very talented Rodney Smith again to create flowers out of makeup for our story on blushes. Peter Tamlin shot our fitness shoot and at the risk of sounding like I’m bragging, I do think we shoot the prettiest workout shots.
Valentine’s day is just around the corner, I’ve whipped up these cute printable cards for your special someone. Download them here!
The March’s issue of Glow is out and the amazing Kate Bock is on the cover, see the whole shoot here. ! With the new year, I redesigned the contents, masthead and contributor’s page. I’ve been on this geometric kick lately, I’m loving the circles and hexagons. Along with that, beauty decoder also got a refresh where we break down a beauty basic down to steps to show you how to achieve the look. My favourite by far is our spring trend report where I worked with illustrator, Nadia Flower who used makeup to write the subheads.
It’s that time again to look back at last year’s resolutions and see if I’ve stuck to them!
1. A family trip. Check. We had a fantastic week in Hawaii in August.
2. Stick to my budget. Pass. I was impressed I even had a budget throughout the whole year. I tried my hardest to stick to it…
3. Be a gym rat. Check. I loved my old gym and went 4 times a week. I ran, did pilates, yoga, rock climbed, swam and trained for my spartan race there. I was so sad when I had to quit when I moved to Toronto but I have since joined a rock climbing gym that I go every week.
4. To find patience. Check. Throughout the year, I was consciously trying to be more patient with my interns when teaching them the ins and outs of the job. It’s not easy having to constantly do this when interns leave every three months. I have seen that as the year progressed, my interns increasingly had more responsibilities. I’ve also realized that there are many things beyond my control and I can only patiently wait until it all works itself out.
Now onto 2014′s resolutions!
2. Build a relationship: there’s someone in my family that I’ve grown up with that I would like to build a better relationship with. We’re going to start monthly dinners together!
3. Keep on budget: I’m going to try very very hard to do this so I can make my down payment goal by 2016!
4. Start complimenting: I love my family, friends and colleagues dearly and want them to do their very best but it also translates to me having the highest expectations for them. This year, I’m going to learn to appreciate what they have done and achieved and dough out compliments more generously.
My roommate and I threw our first entertaining party last weekend and I couldn’t let my guests leave without a little something! I picked up these cute boxes from Target and threw in some tissue paper inside along with some No Bake Cookies Glow will be featuring in our March issue. They are so yummy and perfect for mornings when I don’t have time to make breakfast. Cut a very long piece of twine or rope and wrap it around and tuck the ends in. Download the thank you label here that I designed, cut them up and glue them to the box. So simple but makes such a huge impression on your guests!
My roommate and I held our first entertaining party last weekend. Since our dining table isn’t large enough to seat all 4 of our guests, we used the table as a buffet table and set chairs around our coffee table. Without anywhere to put place cards, I decided to use ornamental birds clipped to halved toilet rolls and the guest’s name painted on. They were such a hit with our guests!